Thursday, April 25, 2013

Ogres, Unity, noise, cube spheres oh my

For a rather long time I've just been procrastinating about almost everything, but recently I've found a new kick of motivation.

The warhammer gents are finally getting finished off because, dammit, I want an army completed. 4 more ogres and a hunter for the stonehorn to go.


And a long recurring project in many different languages is a planet generator.
Using a stellar (bad pun, no donuts) link (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/127292-Procedural-Terrain-on-a-Planet) on the Unity forums, combined with the great free noise library CoherentNoise on the store, I've gone from the elation of
"vertex lit but hey, at least something renders"




to "well, this looks horrible, but it's textured and bump mapped"

to "not bad at all"


I still need to fix the cube spheres texture issues at the seams (I read about a lot of the issues around cube spheres so expected this to crop up) and figure out a better texture system but hey, 3 colour games are in.

The Unity3d forums really are a great resource, there are some definite holier than though jerks but they're the minority. Really nice and helpful bunch indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment