Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Multiplayer enabled custom coordinate system with local area rendering.

Well, that's a long winded title. I also need to get all of these scripts sorted out and hosted somewhere for people to look at.

Custom coordinates (previous post) worked well and the localised renderer toggling worked well in conjuction with the other players.

My usual issue was the networking setup and re-learning all the things I forgot about RPC communications.
Ensuring that the NetworkView items are added and set for no state synchronisation or observed items set me back as usual. The "ownership" of items and initialisation of the known "world" objects (in this case, stand-ins for solar system objects) caused me trouble until I realised I should send those objects down to the network player via RPC instead of configuring it on server connection as that only updated the servers version.

My idea is that the local player needs a copy of these items coordinates in order to do the rendering in relation to themselves and being able to manipulate them without contention on the server.

I worry that the amount of traffic needed for a living place could be prohibitive so one of my next steps will be handing around a seed and doing some very late update synchronising.

For a starfield, there are some simple tweaks available using (in this case) multiple legacy particle generators. I'll follow up on this later as it doesn't work with repeatable results (I need to seed it). But it is rather pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment